I’ve been wanting to make a one-sheet mini for a while now, and last week I finally sat down with a pile of index cards to draw one.
This comic was drawn specifically to be a physical object you can turn in your hands, so some of the text is a little hard to read online. I’ve typed up a transcript below.
"The only people crazier than comics artists are animators. You have to be crazy to do this work. It’s INSANE."
I say this a lot. I’m not really joking.
I was recently invited to talk to a high school graphic novel class about the process of making comics. For most of them, it’s just another English elective, a choice they made between comics, say, and Russian Lit.
Most. Not all, though.
Toward the end of class, I took a small group aside to chat some more about comics. We sat in a huge two-story room, the usual function of which was mysterious to me. The kids were a pretty diverse spread.
I’d come ready to answer questions, but they didn’t really have any.
What to say? These were kids who loved comics. I wanted to tell them SOMETHING that might be useful.
All at once, advice and encouragement and minor regrets came pouring out of me.
"Don’t let anyone shame you for the kinds of comics you love. Don’t let anyone tell you you’re wasting your time.
"Who cares if your art isn’t very good? Do you have an idea? Can you draw it clearly enough for me to understand what’s going on? Then you’re fine! You’ll get better at the art, but for now just make comics.
"There are lots of people who can draw better than I can. But if I sit down and crank out a graphic novel, I’m still a better COMICS artist than lots of them will ever be.
"It’s the discipline of sitting down to work that’s hard. That’s the most important part. If you draw one panel every day, in a year you’ll have a book. It’s a slog, but you can do it.
"Make a webcomic, and make it as easy for yourself as possible. Pick a project that’s easy and fun to work on. Pick a way to post that you don’t have to think about. A hard-to-update site is just one more reason to stop.
"You have access to free prints and photocopies, so use it! Make minis. Go to cons and trade with people. Get a table with a bunch of your friends. People love to see teens making comics! We need new faces!
"Make comics. Make lots of comics. You can do it. I believe in you."
- chozobill likes this
- werhu reblogged this from katie-inspiration
- rowboticreblogging reblogged this from alisonwilgus
- rowbotsmakeart likes this
- grammarnatzi likes this
- nothingherebutthoughts likes this
- iwishiwaspattismith likes this
- dulciores likes this
- thedepthofmydreams reblogged this from jamieism
- nonamehaha likes this
- odettery reblogged this from beachpie
- crudbox reblogged this from nursemchurt
- mukus likes this
- nursemchurt reblogged this from nattosoup
- hartofstone reblogged this from d2cm
- tjkirsch likes this
- katie-inspiration reblogged this from narrativepriorities
- hartofstone likes this
- wilsono likes this
- randomizedred likes this
- red-black-orange reblogged this from nattosoup
- happymascot likes this
- suzusarah likes this
- alisonwilgus reblogged this from narrativepriorities
- greenspace01 reblogged this from narrativepriorities
- greenspace01 likes this
- meme-traduction likes this
- kanthara likes this
- orneryjohn likes this
- nostalgia-shake likes this
- ninjaconsultant reblogged this from narrativepriorities
- greatsoundone likes this
- merumello reblogged this from jamieism
- colorfulcheshire likes this
- amyamychan reblogged this from narrativepriorities
- thistlebox likes this
- silnaur reblogged this from mangamag
- wtenn likes this
- mahou-shoujo-death reblogged this from mangamag
- mahou-shoujo-death likes this
- jm-henry likes this
- aoz0ra likes this
- mother-of-mountains likes this
- silnaur likes this
- coaasscomics likes this
- dewgood reblogged this from mangamag
- howtopaintfire likes this
- melzayas likes this
- the-mak-attacks likes this
- mineraloid likes this